[Live-demo] QGIS quickstart

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 21:45:30 PDT 2013

Hi John,
Thanks for offering to update the OSGeo-Live Quickstart. With your
permission I'm CCing our email list, as there are others likely to have
suggestions regarding what should be done to the qgis quickstart.

Yes, please go ahead and improve spelling/grammar as you see fit, as
well as adding a few screen shots. (Note that we are installing qgis
1.8, but 2.0 will come out for the next release). If possible, select a
screen shot which will be timeless and won't need to change between
versions.

If you are adding/deleting sections, then it would be good to run the
idea past the list first.

With regards to writing style, please follow our guidelines as per:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Documentation

On 8/07/2013 2:15 PM, John Bryant wrote:
> Hi Cameron
>
> I'm sick at home today and taking the opportunity to pick up the
> thread on the QGIS quickstart we talked about a few months back.  I've
> just had a look through and I'm thinking of making some edits, but
> thought I'd check in with you since I am new here and want to stay
> within etiquette.
>
> Here's a rundown of what I'm thinking:
>
>   * some minor text edits to improve spelling, grammar, consistency
>   * add screenshots as suggested
>   * some minor restructuring to improve clarity (eg. make headers more
>     descriptive, make bullet points flow logically step-by-step)
>   * drop end of the PostGIS section - it is very glitchy on my
>     machine, I can't get it to work properly, potentially very
>     frustrating for a new user
>
> I could probably add to this list but thought for now best to keep it
> simple for a quick win.
>
> What do you think, should I just go ahead and do this or is there a
> better/more diplomatic approach?
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Software and Data Solutions Manager

Geospatial & Data Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source