[Live-demo] QGIS quickstart

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 23:53:07 PDT 2013

Hi folks, I'm new to this but I'm keen to contribute if I can do so without
violating etiquette.

Basically I'm hoping to make some minor edits to the QGIS
Quickstart<http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html>.
For now, what I have in mind is a slight modification to the first half
structure-wise, and the addition of some screenshots.

The structure changes I'm proposing are to juggle the order as follows:

*From:*
Edit QGIS project
Style a layer
Create a new QGIS project
Connect to a PostGIS spatial database

*To:*
Start QGIS and open an existing project
  -User interface basics (ie. toolbars, TOC, pan/zoom)
Create a new project and add data
  -Add a shapefile
  -Add a layer from a PostGIS database
Basic layer styling

When I ran through the quickstart today, the styling part of the PostGIS
section was very glitchy and I couldn't get it to work properly at all - I
propose dropping the points for this and picking up on it in the "Basic
layer styling" section.

I'd also like to put in a few more screenshots at some key points.

If anyone has any feedback/objections please chime in?

Cheers
John