[Live-demo] osgeo live logo, and website presentation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 11:03:56 PDT 2017

Jody, others,

Looking at the branding style guide, there is some ambiguity between the
goal of allowing sub-brands (which would involve being creative with how
the logo is used with other graphical concepts) and dos and don'ts which
state not changing the logo. I suggest Dos and Don'ts be suggestions and
goals rather than hard rules in order to enable people to be creative.
Eg: if a chapter wanted to use their country's flag colours within the
logo, I think that should be ok. It is in the designer's interest to try
and align with the core OSGeo-Logo, so they will likely do a good job of
making it obvious there are OSGeo roots.

Eg: Spanish logo:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Cap%C3%ADtulo_Local_de_la_comunidad_hispanohablante

For OSGeo-Live, I'm expecting we will want to work out a way to weave a
heart (or some other image aligned with "live") into the logo somehow.
We may want to retain the blue heart. That should be ok and up to us to
do a good job of deciding that.

You might notice OSGeo-Live has broken the style guide by using the logo
in over another image in our screenshot:

https://live.osgeo.org/_images/osgeolive_menu.png

In previous releases we have used washed out versions of the logo, of
large, off-center parts of the logo. It was artistic and looked good,
and provided the link back to OSGeo. We should empower the creative
people in our community to be creative in that way.

The guide is prescriptive about only being shown on a white background.
Again, that should be a recommendation rather than a rule. If I have a
presentation template with a light blue background, I should be able to
put a logo over the top, without needing to create a white square to put
under it. As a creator, I should be able to decide which looks best.

Cheers, Cameron

On 27/8/17 2:44 am, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> Hi Jody,
>
> We should add this to the agenda for our next weekly meeting:
> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?hour=20&min=30&sec=0&p1=179&p2=189&p3=224&p4=22&p5=240&p6=196&p7=215
>
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com
> <mailto:jody.garnett at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     We are getting some requests for a new osgeo-live logo on the
>     marketing email list - but that decision rests with the community
>     here.
>
>     We have a number of ideas on the table, including one from the
>     graphics designer (as included in the style guide). See page 5
>     here -
>     https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/branding/styleguide-osgeo.pdf
>     <https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/branding/styleguide-osgeo.pdf>
>
>     What would be a good way to proceed? I am happy to make a motion
>     based on the above.
>     --
>     Jody Garnett

> --