[Live-demo] how to easily create a live Disc with only some of the projects

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 11:21:43 PST 2017

Dear Karsten,

You can start by using the source code for OSGeoLive:
https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive

Specifically, you can disable projects in here:
https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/blob/master/bin/inchroot.sh#L122-L213

and try to build an iso to fit your needs.

You can add your own installers, your own customizations etc.

Best,
Angelos

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 11:49 PM, karsten <karsten at terragis.net> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am in the process of creating a live Disk (aka USB stick) for a project
> called the "Tanzania Food and Land Productivity Information System" -  see
> a online version of this here http://transsec2.terragis.net/Welcome.html .
> The system is nearly finished ( and uses MapServer, PostGIS, GDAL,
> OpenLayers 2 etc) under the hood. We would like to publish as an ISO image
> to have bootable USB sticks available for teaching and scientific purposes.
>
> No I have tried to cerate my own bootable system via setting up an Ubuntu
> and tried to cerate an ISO image form there but have run in a lot of issues
> (the first resulting ISO created via systemback failed to boot into the GUI
> but only command line, and a later botched attempt setting up a Xubuntu
> server on a local laptop, where all worked except the MapServer version
> could not easily be installed) .
> Thus, I wanted to reach out for advice what is the easiest way to get a
> bootable system iso created including my project (open to use Ubuntu for
> Xubuntu or the like as a base) .
>
> One alternative to my recent approach - I guess - would be to use the live
> disk as a base , install that to a local machine, then uninstall all that
> is not needed, and then use the Systemback application to create a iso ?
>
> Cheers
> Karsten
>
> Karsten Vennemann
> Principal