[Live-demo] [Qgis-tr] Tranifex translation help please - from the OSGeo-Live team

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Jan 25 01:00:35 PST 2017

On 24-01-17 10:54, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on
> https://www.transifex.com/qgis/
>
> Hello qgis translation team,
>
> We, the OSGeo-Live [1] team, are blessed to have scores of active
> translators, who have been translating OSGeo-Live docs into over 10
> languages. To date, this has been done using subversion and git, but
> we'd like to do better and move to transifex.
>
> Jakob and Niko have been trying hard to set this up for us but have been
> getting stuck and during our weekly meeting today we were hopeful that
> some people in the QGIS translation team might have sufficient
> experience and time to be able to help point us in the right direction.
>
> I'd provide more context, but I'm not sure what questions to ask. I'm
> hoping someone with Transifex experience can prompt us by asking us the
> right questions.

Hi Cameron,

I'm happy to give a hand with this. Jakob and I already emailed in
private about this. Maybe it is easier to have a chat about this?

Some things I would want to know is the goals you want to achieve. For
example for qgis-docs we wanted:

- site to be responsive (to be able to show it on phone or small help
widget on desktop)
- docs also be able to create as pdf's for printing
- one source (rst)
- ability for a language to have localized images (by having a separate
resources/images tree directory)
- translation via transifex
- buildable on several OS's (easiest via docker)
- custom template + css/less (shared with/looking as website)
- automatic pulling of translations and daily building of docs (and sync
to webserver)
- ...

Nowadays I would add:
- add md also as source ability (so easy editing in Github, but to be
able to have indexes you end up with mixed rst/md sources then)
- images relative (so they are visible in Github, like you now have)
- stay as close as possible to vanilla Sphinx scripts and templates

So: please let me know what it is that osgeo-live wants, and off course:
every item makes stuff complexer :-)

This is current build yes? http://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde