[Live-demo] OSGeo live - new candidate: Halestudio

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 17:06:37 PDT 2017

Hi Thorsten,

Great to hear your interest to get involved in OSGeo-Live. Re questions:

1. You have missed the deadline to be included on OSGeo-Live 11.0. The
following release will be scheduled for next year.

2. Yes, we strongly prefer a .deb file for installation. What is
involved in adding a project to OSGeo-Live is described here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#How_to_add_a_project_to_OSGeoLive

Cheers, Cameron

On 7/7/17 11:32 pm, Thorsten Reitz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> in two weeks, many of us will be in Marne la Vallee and we could meet
> briefly to pick up the discussion on including hale studio in
> OSGeolive again.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
>   * What is the deadline to include halestudio in stealth mode in the
>     next release?
>   * As far as I understood, we need to provide an installation script
>     or an installer package - I seem to remember you wanted to have a
>     *.deb?
>   * The actual software package with JRE (e.g. as DMG) is about 170MB
>     big. We can't really remove a lot from that - the included sample
>     data is only about 1MB.
>
> All the best,
>
> Thorsten
>
> Am 16.05.2017 um 16:25 schrieb Dirk Frigne:
>> Hi Cameron,
>>
>> Stealth mode in the first release should be great!
>> Halestudio is used in several EU INSPIRE projects, and we plan to setup
>> a talk and a topic talk about OSGeo live on FOSS4G Paris.
>> There will be a specific topic talk for the INSPIRE community.
>>
>> If we could disclose there the "stealth mode' we could motivate the
>> community to give feedabck.
>>
>> The other point I want to address is to reach out to the dataproviders,
>> to become involved with the OSGeolive project.
>>
>> As we descussed last month, we should try to find more volunteers to
>> support the project and become involved in some testing. By addressing
>> the product owners *and* the dataproviders, able to showcase their data
>> with OSGeo tools, I hope to strengthen the community.
>>

>> All the best,
>> Dirk
>>
>> On 2017-05-16 14:26, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>> Hi Dirk,
>>>
>>> Looking through your responses, Halestudio looks to be a very strong
>>> candidate for including on OSGeo-Live.
>>>
>>> Whether we have time to get it included in time for OSGeo-Live 11.0 is
>>> questionable.
>>>
>>> For prior projects we have often taken two releases to onboard the
>>> project to OSGeo-Live. Firstly we include the project in stealth mode.
>>> (It is installed, but the docs are not linked into the main docs, so new
>>> users don't accidentally use it. This gives us more time to do QA.
>>>
>>> I'll be interested to hear thoughts from other OSGeo-Live folks. I'd
>>> especially like to hear from anyone who has experience with Halestudio
>>> to hear their thoughts.
>>>
>>> Warm regards, Cameron

> --
> Thorsten Reitz