[Local-chapters] [OSGeo-Conf] OS conference platform

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Sep 5 10:02:45 PDT 2019

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 10:01 AM michael terner <ternergeo at gmail.com> wrote:

> That said, I firmly agree with Maria's statement that "we shouldn't force
> any decision over the LOCs." For example, in the Boston Conference, the
> Registration system and the Abstract submission/scoring system was *provided
> by *our Professional Conference Organizer at a very reasonable cost and
> part of the complete "package" they offered us. This saved our volunteers
> time and focus and it worked very well (e.g., our PCO also acted as our
> "bank" and the registration system they used easily integrated with their
> banking).

We (2020) are currently at the pointy end of this discussion. The marketing
and web folks in the LOC aren't particularly technical, so any
out-of-the-usual solutions would have to be maintained for them, and they'd
have to be supported on them. Right now, just getting a clean DNS/web setup
is complicated, because normal people don't actually understand the
difference between A records and CNAME records and what an HTTP 304
response is. I personally am avoiding over-committing, so any push to bring
particular technology to bear has to also come with associated support to
the LOC. "Doocracy" as Cameron says. Like, maybe for my personal use I a
static web site generator and publish through 'git push' (I do), but that's
not something I can direct other people to do. I am particularly loath to
say "use this just-add-a-smart-person solution" when there are
"just-add-money" solutions lying around, and ones they are familiar with,
at that.

 As per above, this should be an LOC choice and if there is a good open
> source solution, and a team ready to deploy it, then more power to that
> team.

A much more succinct way of saying what I said.

> Thanks again to the whole Bucharest team for another amazing and useful
> FOSS4G experience in 2019!!!

A thousand curses on Bucharest for raising the bar so high.

ATB,