[Local-chapters] [OSGeo-Conf] OS conference platform

michael terner ternergeo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 17:00:49 PDT 2019

I am all for having a standard set of tools that are available to FOSS4G
teams whether the conferences are at the Global, National or Regional
levels.

That said, I firmly agree with Maria's statement that "we shouldn't force
any decision over the LOCs." For example, in the Boston Conference, the
Registration system and the Abstract submission/scoring system was *provided
by *our Professional Conference Organizer at a very reasonable cost and
part of the complete "package" they offered us. This saved our volunteers
time and focus and it worked very well (e.g., our PCO also acted as our
"bank" and the registration system they used easily integrated with their
banking).

I would also observe that "open source options" aren't necessarily *always*
the lowest cost, if you look at them through the lens of "total cost of
ownership." For example, the Bucharest team used the open source Pretalx
system for Abstract submittal/scoring, and Volker Mische provided
non-trivial (and amazing) assistance in making Pretalx work for the Program
Committee (which I participated in). I also believe that Bucharest actually
funded some needed enhancements to Pretalx. Thus, before declaring that
Attendify needs to be "gotten rid of" partly because it "costs a lot of
money every year (compared with open source options)." Is there really an
open source option that is as good and easy to administer as Attendify? The
mobile app is mission critical and Attendify has now proven itself as
effective across 3 successive FOSS4G's? Also, Attendify - at least for
Boston - was extremely cost effective and we spent only around $1,000 (I
don't know what the current cost for Bucharest was?). My point is that
finding a volunteer to figure out and successfully deploy (and extend?) an
open source solution could easily lead to a total cost of ownership that is
higher for using an open source solution (if you value the time that
volunteers would need to invest in making it work). Of course, the GDPR
issue is different and very important and needs to be resolved. I would
hope that Attendify is working on it. As per above, this should be an LOC
choice and if there is a good open source solution, and a team ready to
deploy it, then more power to that team.

Thanks again to the whole Bucharest team for another amazing and useful
FOSS4G experience in 2019!!!

MT

Michael Terner
ternergeo at gmail.com