[MapGuide-Users] MSE Studio Necessary?

Robert Bray robert.bray at autodesk.com
Wed Feb 15 12:50:36 EST 2006

Adam,

The desktop Studio that is available as a preview today will be a for
sale product from Autodesk. We realized early on however that we could
not leave open source users in the dark creating map and layer XML files
by hand. So a web based variant of Studio is being developed that will
be offered as an open source project probably under the LGPL (like the
rest of MapGuide Open Source).

The web-based open source Studio will be able to create feature sources
for file based data sources that already exist on the server. In
addition it will allow users to create and edit layer and map
definitions. Look for it sometime this spring. In the meantime an
updated preview version of the desktop Studio application will be made
available when we release MapGuide Open Source.

As for the map and layer definition schemas, they can be found in a
Schema directory under the server's installation directory. The plan is
to offer documentation of these as part of the Web API reference.

Bob