[Mapbender-dev] Re: PHP 5 needed for next Mapbender

Lars-Hendrik Schneider schneider at terrestris.de
Wed Jun 7 15:46:01 EDT 2006

Hi,

> Arnulf Christl schrieb:
>> Thomas Baschetti wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> subject says all, is PHP 5 needed for the upcoming Mapbender?
>>> If i remember correctly this was mentioned at Fossgis in March.
>>
>> Hi,
>> as said at the FOSSGIS we unanimously (you included :-) decided to
>> further only support PHP 5.
>
> Oh really? ;-)
> Yes i remember, i only wanted to know whether i shall take this serious.
>

>> PHP 5.1.x is required when using prepared statements which is the
>> largest security update in Mapbender version 2.4. So you will not be
>> able to work around with older PHP versions when you want to take
>> advantage of prep-statements.
>
> No Problem, so i just have to argue a little bit louder to our customer.
> Oh yes, and learn the differences between 4 an 5.

As far as I see until now there is a very good downward compatibility
between 5 and 4. So it is ususally no problem to get applications that
were written for php4 work in a php5 environment (I think the problems
were much bigger from php3 -> php4 because there were large changes in the
basic structure and basic design, now it is more internally). Although
php5 offers a lot of new functions in detail(!) it does not break your
older applications at all. So it is IMHO always the better choice because
it normally causes no problems - and it is the current stable version.

Regards,
Lars-Hendrik