PHP 5 needed for next Mapbender

Thomas Baschetti Thomas.Baschetti at gmx.de
Wed Jun 7 13:22:24 EDT 2006

Arnulf Christl schrieb:
> Thomas Baschetti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> subject says all, is PHP 5 needed for the upcoming Mapbender?
>> If i remember correctly this was mentioned at Fossgis in March.
>
> Hi,
> as said at the FOSSGIS we unanimously (you included :-) decided to
> further only support PHP 5.

Oh really? ;-)
Yes i remember, i only wanted to know whether i shall take this serious.

> PHP 5.1.x is required when using prepared statements which is the
> largest security update in Mapbender version 2.4. So you will not be
> able to work around with older PHP versions when you want to take
> advantage of prep-statements.

No Problem, so i just have to argue a little bit louder to our customer.
Oh yes, and learn the differences between 4 an 5.

> I have no information regarding the use of PHP 4 and 5 on the same box /
> webserver. (((.. but only thinking about it makes my head ache)))

Yes, seems a little bit tricky to me, too.
The hint from Björn would require to rename all files of one application
(no good idea, especially because of all the references between files
and the database...)
Perhaps with virtual servers or different installations (i want to
upgrade that box to apache2 anyway).

Ciao
Thomas