OSGeo incubation status

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Tue Jun 13 03:20:21 EDT 2006

On Tue, June 13, 2006 01:46, Paul Spencer wrote:
> Folks,
>
> at long last, I have started working on my mentoring tasks for
> Mapbender.  I have:
>
> * reviewed a sampling of the source code
> * reviewed the project wiki pages relating to project governance
> * reviewed the project status template in the osgeo wiki
> * reviewed the code provenance review in the osgeo wiki
> * followed the mapbender mailing lists to gauge the 'health' of the
> Mapbender community.
>
> I have to say that I am very impressed with Mapbender as a community
> project.  It is ready for graduation from incubation to full project
> status, and it is the first of the OSGeoo projects to reach this point.
>
> I will be recommending Mapbender for graduation to the Incubation
> Committee at our next meeting.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul

> |Paul Spencer                           pspencer at dmsolutions.ca   |
with most people really not noticing too much but every now and then one
does go astray. Find the current addresses on the Wiki:
http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/Mapbender_Mailing_Lists

Developers,
lets try to finish off the last issues regarding code cleaning and
document it in the OSGeo Wiki.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Mapbender_Incubation_Progress

My last count on this page gave me 60-something files with the word
'missing' (either license or copyright or both). Quite a few must have
been corrected and some JS might not need it.

It will be necessary to add the license string to any file that might end
up 'alone' in a browser, probably this will only apply to some JavaScript
modules. If it gets included into another PHP file that has the license
text we need not bother, especially with those really very short ones. It
would be nice to get it all wrapped up clean for the 2.4 release due in a
few days.

Additionally we have discussed governance in the Incubation Committee and
it was suggested to have a monthly meeting on IRC to get stuff discussed
in a broader way than we have until now. I know that IRC is not exactly
our primary tool for communication but we should consider this, especially
as the developer community is getting more dispersed and we cannot reach
each other all that easily as we have before. This is just at a proposal
stage - and yes I would very much like to get some feedback... :-)

...and yes, we would like the developers to be somewhat more recognizable,
maybe similar to the PSC page:
http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/Mapbender_PSC

You do not have ot put your email address there if you fear spam. But
maybe something more visible would do us good, check out Uli:
http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/User:Uli_Rothstein

Regards,
Arnulf