New Mapbender contributors

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Fri May 26 07:54:29 EDT 2006

Hello Peter, Thomas,
welcome to the team.

Until now you have contributed indirectly by hacking the Wiki and
throwing the on and off pieces of code over the fence. But I remember
that you both showed interest in joining the core development and
eventually getting commit access to the source code repository. As we
know you for quite some time now this would basically a formality, we'll
do that via the dev list.

But for us it would be interesting to understand what you need to get
going. Our problem is that we try to provide all information that is
necessary for the interested developer to get involved but being inside
makes it difficult to look at what is needed from the outside.

So we would like to know whether it is transparent to you how decisions
are made regarding the development, how new versions are planned and
what basic guidelines apply to contributing development to the Mapbender
project.

This kind of information might also of interest to the incubation
committee that (who, which?!) currently tries to develop a method and
guidelines on how to run a project. Another open question is how to
understand or "judge" whether a project is healthy or not (not only
legally regarding the code but also from the community aspects). So all
input from your side is welcome. If you are lazy (and as good developers
you should be...) or shy (will probably not apply :-) you can also give
feedback in German or offlist - then I will route the key issues to
whichever place makes sense.

Thanx & have a nice weekend,
Arnulf.