[Mapbender-dev] motion: establish jQuery as default Javascript library

Christoph Baudson (WhereGroup) christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Tue Apr 3 03:10:34 EDT 2007

In yesterday's IRC meeting
(http://logs.qgis.org/mapbender/%23mapbender.2007-04-02.log) we
discussed the usage of jQuery as a default JavaScript library.

At the moment we're trying to solve an interface problem with a
drag-and-drop approach. With jQuery it took merely 15 lines to
implement. In the future we are planning to enhance the usability with
features like this, so that Mapbender has more of an application feel
(and not a website feel)...is that what you meant by clickeridoo, seven?
:-) jQuery might be very helpful.

The most important question are: Do we need a wrapper? Is it possible to
implement a wrapper? I propose we can't and don't need to.

Pro's of jQuery are
- high level of abstraction; implementation of complex things is easy
- jQuery seems to be stable; it seems to be widely used
- we already use it for AJAX and are therefore used to it

Con's are
- depending on a single library might not be a good idea if you don't
use a wrapper

Someone has to second this motion, then the voting process begins. All
developers (everyone) are allowed to vote.