[Mapbender-dev] Code Conventions (first summary)

Christoph Baudson (WhereGroup) christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Fri Feb 2 07:43:46 EST 2007

Hello again,

> jep, PHP-Doc style is a good proposal, so we can use some tools to
> extract the documentation - although I think that the wiki is the better
> alternative for the documentation. There are two advantages: we've one
> format (wiki) for all purposes and we have a history.
> But maybe we could use both and extract the php-doc-style comments into
> the wiki?

As far as I know all developers are now in favor of php-doc. Marc
Jansen, as you proposed the idea, could you please add it to the wiki?

http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/Code_conventions

If you don't have time or if you cannot access the wiki for some reason
please let us know, and I will try to find time to do so.

>> * Marc introduced the packing algorithm used by jQuery:
>> http://dean.edwards.name/packer/usage/
>> Using this packing algorithm would result in additional rules:
>>
>> - "terminate every statement by a semicolon (even functions!)"
>> (although I don't understand why the if-statement in the sample is not
>> terminated..any ideas? http://dean.edwards.name/packer/usage/sample.html)
>
> that's not very consequent and stringent. And the terminating semicolon
> behind the bracket of the function-body is seriously ugly! I've never
> seen that before.

I guess we have come to no conclusion here. I suggest we keep this in
mind and discuss it later (I will add a paragraph to the wiki site). If
there are any objections please let us know.

> Some additional proposals:
> * I think it would be helpful to declare the variable which come from
> 'outside' via GET, POST, SESSION etc. in the header

I think this is pretty useful. I will add it to the wiki page.

> * so we should provide some templates in our mapbender-org-wiki which
> could be imported in the IDE

This is a good idea. Maybe we can elaborate which templates might be
useful. Maybe someone should take the initiative and present a template,
so we can discuss it.

Cheers, Christoph