[Mapbender-dev] Proposal to add Melchior Moos as a Mapbender developer

Melchior Moos Nimix at gmx.net
Thu Jan 18 06:01:35 EST 2007

Hi marc,

Marc Jansen schrieb:
> Hi Melchior, hi list
>
> Melchior Moos schrieb:.
>> What do you think about the new tree
>> (http://wms1.ccgis.de/mapbender_dev/frames/login.php?name=demo&password=demo&mb_user_myGui=gui_241
>>
>> )?
>>

> Nice Work! This looks very good, seriously.
>
> OK: I've got some points, I don't know if they have been discussed, as
> I wasn't following this thread or discussion:
>
> - The tree loads very slowly in IE 6.029 (but provides full
> functionality)

I've tested it with IE 6.0.2800.1106 and I can't see such problems.

> - In IE it seems as if every image gets requested from server after
> any action I take.

thats right. I thought the browser will cache it but maybe its better to
cache it in JS.

> - Wouldn't it be nice to have drag'n'drop support? (or is it included
> and I didn't manage to find it?)
> (see http://interface.eyecon.ro/demos/drag_drop_tree.html)

This would be very nice, but I hadn't the time to implement this.

> - I, personally, think it is counter-intuitive that a WMS on top of
> the list is displayed underneath everything else. I think I know the
> technical background for this behaviour, but I think the visible
> representation should simply be reversed. Maybe I'm just too much
> influenced by ArcMap, where the behavioiur is completely reversed (the
> topmost layer in the layer-list is the topmost layer in the map)

I agree, it is confusing when you click 'move down' and the comes to the
front.

> - in the source I see lots of code, yet not a single comment: That
> makes it really hard to understand what is happening, at least to me
> - the javascript makes heavy use of shorthand if-else-constructions.
> What is general consensus with this issue?
> - A general thing. In the generated HTML we have lots of inline
> behaviour assignments:
>
> onclick="showMenu('arrNodes[0][2][0][2][0]', this, event)" ...
> OR
> onclick="handleSelectedLayer('mapframe1','407','Mapbender_User','visible',this.checked?1:0);updateParent('root_id|407');handleSelectedLayer('mapframe1','407','Mapbender_User','querylayer',this.checked?1:0)"
>

> Why don't we put these assignments within Javascript-blocks?
>
> // something like this:
> myDOM_element.onclick = function () {
>   // the functions
> }

yes, the code should be overworked with a look at the code conventions

> BTW: What does the community think about a general decission on some
> kind of Javascript-framework (prototype, jquery,
> insert-your-favourite). This would really ease up some of the things
> we do.
>
> Melchior, don't get me wrong, I really love your tree, I just wanted
> to give some constructive feedback.

thank you for having a look at it.

reganrds,
melchior