[Mapbender-dev] Reminder: Code Conventions

Christoph Baudson (WhereGroup) christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Thu Jan 18 10:25:41 EST 2007

Hi there,

On January 8th I introdurced a proposal of code conventions at

http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/Code_conventions

*Please notice: These conventions are not forcing developers to adopt a
certain style: It's an opportunity to improve yourself and produce
better code.*

I guess all developers will at some point face some sort of code
conventions and I guess it's a good opportunity to learn about this
right now, as it will *definitely* take a load off *your* shoulders.

These conventions are set up to help developers (I cite the wiki page):
* They let you take more for granted (by making one global decision
rather than may local ones, you can concentrate on the more important
characteristics of the code).
* They help you transfer knowledge across projects. Similarities in
names give you an easier and more confident understanding of what
unfamiliar variables are supposed to do.
* They help you learn code more quickly on a new project. Rather than
learning that A's code looks like this and B's code looks like something
else, you can work with a more consistent set of code.

Please read this document at least once. If there are any omissions,
errors, ambiguities in the draft, please discuss it on-list. *Additions
are highly welcome!*

Please bear in mind that a vote on these conventions is planned for
Monday 21st.

Thanks, Christoph