AW: AW: [Mapbender-dev] Test of RC1 / some thoughts

Samson, Marko Marko.Samson at wald-und-holz.nrw.de
Tue Jan 30 10:30:45 EST 2007

Thats why I was irritated about the deeper sense of the modul-constellation of gui, gui1 and a gui2 and came to this idea of these two main guis.
But I think, that the idea of 'gui-core' and 'gui-all-incl' is a way to simplify the update and testing process, isn't it?

> I thought that it would be helpful to have new admin guis
> with clear focus. admin1 has all, admin2_de only a subset and
> then there are _service and _user.

Good idea, another idea is an administration-menu like joomla, to get all functions of administration at one main administration page, with some 'main-menus' like services, users,guis,modules,whatever ..... With each 'main-menue' having some dropdown menues with specifical functions to the main-menus title. Handling the language could be done by setting the language in the menu and parsing a language-pack.file or a language table to set the title for each menu and submenu title.
So, there would be just one admin-menu ....

> Currently translation is done by duplicating guis! I never
> said that this is good or has to stay that way but it is
> always hard to take things away once they are there and
> maintaining ten interfaces is just enough already.
>
> If we can distribute this on more shoulders we might have a
> chance that it works. Again we need the concept of "module
> maintainers". Michel Garand already consented to doing this a
> year ago but no one ever got to defining what the module
> maintainer for gui is supposed to do or how to go about it.
>
> You have all my support - but I will not be able to actually
> *do* much, so this support is not worth the bits that got
> them to your screen. :-)

poor little bits! ;)

> > BTW: A little offtopic.....Do you know the Oscar Project?
> The Open Source Car? Opens Source goes reality!
> > Very funny but good idea. Are there already other projects
> for the 'real life' that you know like
> http://www.theoscarproject.org/ ?
>
> More of this will come, social sciences are eying us closely
> too, governing promises to get people interested again, etc.
> Hey, you knew that - we are hype!

Certainly!! ;)