[Mapbender-dev] Replace popup Windows

Marc Jansen jansen.marc at gmx.de
Tue Sep 18 05:40:26 EDT 2007

Hi Melchior,

that's surely a very good idea! Find my thoughts within your mail:

Melchior Moos schrieb:
> Hi Devs,
> I am going to implement a replacement for popup windows to mapbender so
> that we no longer run into problems with popup blockers.

as mentioned: absolutely the right decision IMHO.

> The idea is to
> display things like the featureinfo request results as a layer in the
> mapbender window.

you added 2 jQuery plugins to the  wiki page, and I'd  suggest another
candidate: jQuery UI (http://ui.jquery.com/, released yesterday by
jQuery main developer John Resig and some other super talented
Javascript/Jquery-Gurus). This plugin has been awaited for months by the
community and it is actively developed.

I would strongly favor to go with this code... and with jQuery 1.2.1 as
well.

Demos:
http://dev.jquery.com/view/trunk/plugins/ui/demos/ui.dialog.html
http://dev.jquery.com/view/trunk/plugins/ui/demos/ui.resizable.html

> I created a Wiki-Page with details and Demo screenshot:
> http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/Popup_replacement
>
> What do you think?

You propose to add jQuery to the mainframe? I'm +1 with that!

As for the problems with the json.js-script: Jquery 1.2.1. is working
within a proper Javascript-namespace. Maybe that solves the described
bug? I'm not sure... but this is another example that one should think
twice when fuddling with prototypes of base types
(http://web-graphics.com/2006/05/23/on-modifying-prototypes-of-javascript-built-ins/).

If I remember correctly, there is a plugin for Jquery that does JSON
conversion. I couldn't locate it right now, but will keep on searching