[Mapbender-dev] i18n revisited

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Wed Aug 20 09:34:28 EDT 2008

Hi there

today I realized that the concept for db translations is still not good
enough.

I had the scenario where I had texts I wanted to translate in table "a".
I wanted to add these texts to the translations table. However, I can't
add a foreign key to table "a", as the msgid column is not unique in
translations.

We should therefore think about splitting the table translations

table: translation_key
columns: id, msgid

table translation_values
columns: fkey_translation_key_id, locale, msgstr

No doubt, this will also save a lot of db space, as you would not store
the msgid again for each translation.

I think we should prepare this for version 2.6. The gettext function
would change, nothing else. We would of course have to supply an update
SQL, but this will be easy with spsneos script.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

W h e r e G r o u p GmbH & Co. KG

Christoph Baudson
Anwendungsentwickler