[Mapbender-dev] Motion to change terminology: 'Application'instead of 'GUI'

Michael Schulz mschulz at webgis.de
Mon Feb 25 06:11:04 EST 2008

Hi,

maybe we can use the term "application" for the GUIs, that are really
GUIs, with gui_elements, assigned wms, mapframe, additional
functionality like digitizing, etc.

Other "GUIs" like administration GUIs and WMS-Containers should then
be addressed with a different term. If we want to find one name for
three different things it will be hard not to end up with Uli's
suggestion.

This could go so far as to give GUIs sth. like a type flag
(application, admin, container, ...). Then also the gui-list page
could be easily rearranged, e.g. grouping the different GUI-types. But
do we only want to change the term or would we also want to enhance
functionality?

Cheers, Michael

2008/2/21, Marc Jansen <jansen.marc at gmx.de>:
> Hi list,
>
>  [...]
>

>  > Hi,
>  > currently the vote count is four +1, one +0, one 0 and one abstain
>  > (Uli did not vote and only commented). This is enough to carry the
>  > motion but we are in no hurry.
>  > There were some comments that "application" might not be the best term
>  > but no alternative was given. If you have another idea, please suggest
>  > it (except EWS).
>  > Best regards, Arnulf. _______________________________________________
>  > Mapbender_dev mailing list
>  > Mapbender_dev at lists.osgeo.org
>  >

> Just as a quick thought: what about 'interface' instead of 'gui' and
>  instead of 'application'?
>
>  It would fit for the presented stuff... (admin_guis and WMS-containers
>  for continents) comments?
>
>  Mapbender would then manage interfacees (sometimes for users, sometimes
>  with a graphical emphasis). The GU from gui simply would be dropped. I
>  could arrange myself with both 'application' and  'interface'.
>

>  -- Marc

Michael Schulz
mschulz at webgis.de

in medias res