[Mapbender-dev] Build script / SQL

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Tue Jul 22 13:15:27 EDT 2008

We still don't have an automated routine to generate the SQL dumps for a
new release. The problems are the schema SQLs, as the data SQL is pretty
much exchangeable for MySQL and PostgreSQL.

I was thinking about this: Maybe create the ER model in Dia [1], and
then use tedia2sql [2] to export the model to MySQL, PostgreSQL etc. The
export is basically a Perl script which parses the XML saved by Dia. You
have to misuse the UML syntax to get results though. A class corresponds
to a table, an attribute corresponds to a column etc.

We would have
a) a tool to maintain the database structure
b) an up-to-date image to teach the db structure to new Mapbender devs
c) various output formats like MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle etc.

There is even a tool to import PostgreSQL databases into dia,
postgresql_autodoc [3], but it is far from perfect, but could be at
least helpful.

I have made a prototypical Dia file [4], covering only three tables. But
it seems to work for both MySQL and PostgreSQL.

Please share your valued opinion. Maybe you know a better way to solve
this problem.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Dia
[2] http://tedia2sql.tigris.org/
[3] http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/