[Mapbender-dev] Discussion on Update Script Interface

Siddharth Prakash Singh spsneo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 06:46:44 EDT 2008

Hello Devs,

As, all of you are aware that I am working on Automated Update routine for
mapbender.
I am currently working on automating the Database structure changes. I
worked out the mediawiki's update routine. Their update routine does a
simple task of going through the database structure sequentially, and
committing the required changes. All the changes to be done are stored in
many sql files and all those sql files are called one by one iteratively by
a php function.
So, now I identify that actually there should be two scripts, as described
below :

1> The *back-end script for administrator*s of the mapbender project.This
script will -- produce the user update script and the required sql files for
the user update script.
            Let me explain in detail. With every new release of mapbender
there might be changes in the database structure. So after every release
there has to be a user update script which will update the mapbender
installation of any user. Now the administrator of the mapbender project
will have to write the sql files for every release. So what can be done is
that - we may have web based GUI which will ask for the changes done in the
current release and will then produce dynamically the *user update
script*and the sql files required for the *user update script*.

2> The *user update script *for the users of mapbender. This will be a php
script which may be run on the terminal or from a browser to update the
installation.

Hopefully, I am clear to all of you.
Comments, suggestions and queries awaited.
Anticipating a huge response.
cheers,
A committed mapbender developer.

--