[Mapbender-dev] Discussion on Update Script Interface

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Mon Jun 2 04:59:39 EDT 2008

Hi Siddharth,

so the two scripts you described are these

(1) determine database changes to prior version (build process)
(2) determine database changes to user's prior version and apply
necessary changes (update process)

Is this what you meant?

If yes, please let me elaborate:

about (1):
how are the SQL files generated? We need to know the status of "old"
Mapbender and "new" Mapbender, and create the SQL files by comparing
"old" and "new". How do we manage to do it? Do we have to have template
databases, or SQL dumps? Or are the changes entered manually?

about (2):
probably the version of the user has been altered. We definitely have to
find a way how to deal with conflicts. Regarding the db structure, this
may be seldom the case, but with data, we need to be more sophisticated.

How do you want to proceed? You told me you already started coding,
maybe let us know what you plan to do next.

Christoph

W h e r e G r o u p GmbH & Co. KG

Christoph Baudson
Anwendungsentwickler