[Mapbender-dev] Motion to enhance the user/group model

Len Kne knex0001 at umn.edu
Mon Jun 9 10:57:03 EDT 2008

Christoph

Ideally WMS and WFS should be "ownable" by a group, for ease of management
and for consistency throughout Mapbender.   The changes needed to make this
happen are more substantial then the user/group/application changes in the
proposal.

Taking WMS for example, the field wms.wms_owner identifies the owner.  That
user has write access to the WMS and read access is controlled by access to
an application - any user with access to an application with a WMS can read
that WMS.  One solution would be to separate WMS access from the application
and control read/write access through a couple of tables (wms_mb_group &
wms_mb_user) like what is done with an application.  There are benefits to
this approach (user level control to a WMS), but it separates service access
from the application, does this violate the Mapbender design?  Another
option would be to put a WMS in a group whose members have management rights
- this seems backwards and somewhat confusing to me.

Any ideas from devs?

Thanks

Len