[Mapbender-dev] Spatial request: WFS / WMS relation

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Fri Nov 21 03:13:36 EST 2008

Quite recently we were having a bit of trouble configuring a WMS in
order to work with a WFS. I opened the following ticket

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapbender/ticket/330

In a nutshell:

Up to now, the layer that is linked to the WFS configuration would have
had to be both visible and a querylayer (that is, queryable and
activated for querying). The reason was, that in certain scenarios, you
might only want to retrieve objects of a certain theme. Just imagine a
rich application with lots of different WMS / WMS relations. A spatial
request would produce endless results.

However, the querylayer attribute is by definition an attribute to
control a WMS feature info request. So coupling this with a WFS looks
now a little "forced" and misplaced.

My proposal is to remove the querylayer condition from the "if"
mentioned in the ticket. You could still deactivate the spatial request
by setting the layer to "not visible". So the only thing we would lose
in such a solution would be this: You were unable to exclude layers from
spatial request while having them visible at the same time.

Would this be a major change? Could this be part of 2.5.1 or would we
have to defer this to 2.6? Do I make any sense?

Let's discuss,

Where2B-Konferenz
Die Geo-IT Konferenz der WhereGroup
vom 9.-10. Dezember 2008 in Bonn