[Mapbender-dev] WFS 1.1 design phase

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Fri Nov 28 09:50:01 EST 2008

Currently I'm thinking about how to redesign some Mapbender PHP classes
in order to support WFS 1.1.0.

We are having a single class for a WFS. Its attributes are set by
methods like

createObjFromXML (the data is taken from a capabilities document) or
createObjFromDB (the data is already stored in Mapbender).

Of course, a capabilities document of version 1.1.0 different from a
1.0.0 document. So I have to enhance the current static model into a
more dynamic one.

We should have an abstract WFS class (maybe even an abstract OWS class),
and then let WFS_1_1 and WFS_1_0 inherit from WFS.

In order to keep most of the code intact, I wanted to avoid sth. like

$wfs = new WFS_1_1();
$wfs = new WFS_1_0();

so I was thinking about using a factory method approach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_method_pattern

A WFS factory would create WFS objects, we would not have to create them
ourselves. A WFS factory could have the methods mentioned above,

createObjFromXML and
createObjFromDB,

which would return either a WFS 1.1.0 or a WFS 1.0.0 object. The current
class wfs could be rewritten to be this factory. By this we could at
least keep some code intact.

I sketched the classes here

http://www.mapbender.org/Talk:WFS_1.1

Let's discuss and feel free to edit the wiki page.

Where2B-Konferenz
Die Geo-IT Konferenz der WhereGroup
vom 9.-10. Dezember 2008 in Bonn
Web: www.where2b-conference.com