[Mapbender-dev] WMS rotation

Michael Schulz mschulz at webgis.de
Tue May 26 03:37:50 EDT 2009

Hi Devs,

following to the IRC meeting yesterday and especially the talk about
the new print modules I checked whether the wms spec yields parameters
that would allow for a rotated map response image. Or better rotated
annotation and symbology. This was not an in-depth inquiry, but as far
as I can tell, there is no mention of a rotation mechanism in any of
the ogc-wms specs.

WRT UMN Mapserver: The angle parameter at map object level can rotate
the whole image by a given angle. The problem is that this option is
not exposed in cgi mode only via mapscript. At least from the docs, it
seems that mapsever would only rotate the map and leave the labels
normal. I haven't tested that. I attached three links, that show this
information. If one really needs this badly, I think it could be worth
a try, to create a mapscript wms wrapper, that would take a VSP in the
getmap URL and translate this into a call to a rotated map via the
setRotation call.

Cheers, Michael

http://mapserver.org/mapfile/map.html?highlight=rotation
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/MapRotation
http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-16.html#rfc16

Aufwind durch Wissen!

Qualifizierte Open Source Schulungen bei der
http://www.foss-akademie.de/

Michael Schulz
mschulz at webgis.de

in medias res

+++ Bitte beachten Sie unsere neue Adresse und Durchwahl +++

Schwimmbadstraße 2
D-79100  Freiburg i. Br.

Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-102
Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-0
Fax: +49 (0)761 705798-09

+++ Bitte beachten Sie unsere neue Adresse und Durchwahl +++

http://www.webgis.de / http://www.zopecms.de