[Mapbender-dev] [gsoc09] more static Admin GUI

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Wed May 27 10:14:50 EDT 2009

karim@ schrieb:
> Dear List,
>
> I was wondering:
>
> The admin GUIs are defined the same way as the mapbenderframes/divs, by
> adding elements in mod_editElements.php.
>
> How important is it that it stays this way?

As far as I know the most important aspect of the GUI approach wrt the
admin interfaces is the rights management. You can easily grant a user
access to a admin GUI just like you do with another GUI. If we were to
abandon the GUI concept for admin interfaces, a new set of management
would be needed. I'm not sure if this would make Mapbender unnecessarily
complex and bloated. I find the simple GUI concept quite intriguing.

I myself have never customised an administration GUI. We would have to
talk to people with huge installations that have sub-admins. But smehow
I have a bad feeling about removing flexibility, if there is no clear
advantage. If there is an advantage, please explain it in greater detail
to me.

I assume we can build the administration interface you suggested with
the current approach. If you see problems, please let us know.

Thanks

Christoph

> It seems to me that an administrative interface that exposes all
> available functionality, could be sufficient and not actually need
> the amount of flexibility it has now.
>
> The default install contains admin1, admin2 and admin_services, where admin1 is not
> really usable and admin2 and admin_services is what I am trying to prettify.
> Are there installations that customize these further, other than hiding certain
> parts for non-authorized users?
>
> I am thinking, that after logging in, a user could immediately be
> presented with the admin interface, instead of first chosing which one
> she would like.
>

> So I a hereby propose to take the admin interface out of the "GUI
> edited" part of Mabpender, and give it, it's own page, which would
> contain a GUI editor (somewhere along the lines of [1]?)
> for configuring maps, but not for the administrative interface itself.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> /kmq
>
> [1] http://karim.malhas.de/gsoc09/sketchC.xml

W h e r e G r o u p GmbH & Co. KG