[Mapbender-dev] install script handling

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Tue Sep 15 09:21:15 EDT 2009

Dear community,

I'm still somehow puzzled what would be the standard way to install
Mapbender:
(1) which user shall run the installer?
(2) which db user shall be used?

Here are my thoughts, please help me get on track
(1) the user should be allowed to grant write permissions to the web
user, so the script must be run as a superuser
(2) the success of the database access depends upon the settings in
pg_hba.conf (in PostgreSQL). I assume the default is "ident", which
leads me to the assumption, that there must be a corresponding db user
to the os user. I always create a superuser named after my os user, so I
don't have a problem. But if I want to use the db user "postgres", this
won't work. When does PostgreSQL ask for a password? And if so, does it
require the password for every single SQL file?

The installer should be foolproof and self-explanatory. Please help.

Thanks, Christoph

INTERGEO 2009
22.-24. September 2009 in Karlsruhe
Halle 1, Stand 1.417