[Mapbender-dev] install script handling

Thomas Baschetti info at thomas-baschetti.de
Tue Sep 15 10:35:19 EDT 2009

Hi,

Christoph Baudson schrieb:

> I'm still somehow puzzled what would be the standard way to install
> Mapbender:
> (1) which user shall run the installer?
> (2) which db user shall be used?
>
> Here are my thoughts, please help me get on track
> (1) the user should be allowed to grant write permissions to the web
> user, so the script must be run as a superuser
not nice, i don't like this. I try NOT to start any script as a
superuser unless it is really, really, really necessary.
> (2) the success of the database access depends upon the settings in
> pg_hba.conf (in PostgreSQL). I assume the default is "ident", which
> leads me to the assumption, that there must be a corresponding db user
> to the os user. I always create a superuser named after my os user, so
> I don't have a problem. But if I want to use the db user "postgres",
> this won't work. When does PostgreSQL ask for a password? And if so,
> does it require the password for every single SQL file?
First to say, "ident" is not default on windows (who uses windows,
anyway...)
If using password-authentification (md5), psql will ask whenever it
connects to the database. So yes, for every single SQL-file (+1 extra
for createdb)
You can prevent this by
- setting an environment var "pgpassword" which is considered a security
risk,
- using a file ~/.pgpass which consists of connect-strings:
   host:port:database:username:password

> The installer should be foolproof and self-explanatory. Please help.

and have a gui.
I think installation should be like:
- download mapbender
- unzip it in your webdirectory
- go to http://server/mapbenderpath
- fill in some questions (database, server, ...)
- magic happens
- mapbender is up and running

The actual install-scripts are only a temporary solution, imho.

Other projects get this done (mediawiki, drupal...), i think we can get
this done, too.

Other opinions?

Ciao
Thomas

--

Thomas Baschetti - Systemanalyse Geographische Informationssysteme
Hakenstraße 8D

Tel: 0541 25 91 90 | mobil 01577 189 25 91
E-Mail: info at thomas-baschetti.de
www.thomas-baschetti.de
Ust-IdNr.: DE264355072