[Mapbender-dev] Testing

Astrid Emde astrid.emde at wheregroup.com
Tue Feb 9 01:29:58 EST 2010

Hello Karim,

we have the page "Release_guide"

http://www.mapbender.org/Release_guide

which we can follow before a new version is coming out.

Then there is the page "Test"

http://www.mapbender.org/Test.

I like your floating ideas. Maybe we can transfer them to a wiki page an
discuss them there. It will be a big goal if most of the test will run
automatically and not manual.

I added some comments.

On Mon, February 8, 2010 5:54 pm, Karim Malhas wrote:
> Dear *,
>

> In the IRC meeting we noticed that we have no plan for testing.
> Not even a definition what testing is, so I went to the wiki to see what
> we have.
>
> But appart from
>

> "There is no unit testing in Mapbender. This will change in the near
> future." http://www.mapbender.org/Unit_test
>

> I didn't find anything interesting, so I thought I'd write something up
>

> 1 Automated Tests
>

> 1.1 Unit Tests for PHP
> 1.2 Unit Tests for Javascript
>

> These are kind of obvious. They're a little hard to do, because they
> require witing tests, which is difficult when the Codebase already exists
> and has varying states of Quality/Coding conventions The goal here would
> be to get to a point where there are few to none (preferably none) global
> variables in a collection of classes that have a well defined interface.
> Some can already be used this way
> some others can't.
>

> 1.3 Unit Tests for GUIs
>

> Maybe we can come up with a way to test GUIs automaticaly after
> updates?

That would be a good solution

> 1.4 Services
>

> Should we test if the services are operational and working as
> expected? How?

> 1.5 Installation
>

> This could be automated in a VM.

yep

> 2. Manual Tests
>

> 2.1 Test GUIs
>

> Is this really the only manual test we have?
> We could create checklists of how to test a GUI
>

> 1. Log in [ ]
> 2. Open Gui [ ]
> 3. perform operation X [ ]
> .
> .
> .
> Z. log out
>

> These checklists could be the basis of an automated test. Because
> really, we would like to do as little as possible manually.

right - this would be great.

> I am just floating ideas here, if someone as comments, please add them.
>

> Regards,
> Karim

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Astrid Emde