[Mapbender_dev] Accessing and using projects.osgeo.osuosl.org

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Thu Jul 1 03:38:29 EDT 2010

Hi,
maybe this has all been resolved yet, please jsut send a link where to
read up on.

This might evolve into a ticket but maybe we need to have a broader
dialog before actually starting to decide and then do things.

We (GN, MB, Geodata Committee) have collected some requirements for what
we need to run metadatata.osgeo.org. I guess that other projects need
similar things and I am absolutely unclear on how this can be organized
so that we don't step on each other's toes.

Here goes things that I believe sudo rights are required + they can
conflict with other's requirements:

Apache
* add aliases
* add modules (rewrite, etc.)
* ssh / certificats (this could probably managed by SAC and does not
need changes often)

PostgreSQL
* create database
* create users
* change ownerships
* add triggers, functions, etc.

Installations:
* PostGIS (maybe in different versions for different projects?)
* PHP
* gettext
* all the nitty gritty personally preferred admin tools

We will need to edit PHP.INI regularly, try different settings. This
requires to restart Apache / force reload.

We will have to deal with https, connect to LDAP, maybe create users or
groups for LDAP (this could or should probably also be done by SAC)?

There will probably be more details as we go along, this is just to get
us started.

The Geodata Committee wants to grow a service for all types of metadata
for services, dataset, applications, portals and so on. The Mapbender
and GeoNetwork teams are interested in supporting this project from the
technical side. If sucessful it will be a well received OSGeo service.
If not highly available and stable it has no chance of becoming
sucessful which puts us into this old deadlock.

These are just initial ideas, maybe you already have it all worked out
and can point to a policy page that describes how to deal with this.

Best regads,
Arnulf.

- --
Exploring Space, Time and Mind