[Mapbender_dev] Re: [SoC] Update on REST API Project [Weekly Report]

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Tue Jul 6 03:30:17 EDT 2010

Hi Vikas,
thanks for your report.

There is the mid-term evaluation coming up. This means that we will have
to write a report. We can coordinate as we go along.

Last weekend at the code sprint we spent some time discussing the
resource design required by the services and the applications objects.
We decided that it will be easier to first design and then implement the
resources and representations for applications. Karim has done some
preliminary work a while ago, maybe you can use some of what he has done
to start with.

We are still wondering how to best design and then implement the
resources  for services. This will be the trickiest bit as we have to
decide whether there will be one type of resource for all kinds of
services or one each. Especially when we start to include more of
OpenLayers as a viewer component we might also want to deal with
proprietary services from GoogleBingYahoo et al. There is nothing there
yet to build from so we will need to spend some time thinking and
talking. So for the time being we stay focused on what we know, that
includes WMS and WFS, where WFS by comparison is way more complex but
also way more interesting. Lets see how far we will get.

As yet we do not have a development server which is rather unfortunate
at this momemt. The old one at telascience seems to have crapped out
altogether and there is not new one at the new OSGeo service provider.
We are working on this. In the worst case we will have to find something
outside of OSGeo for the time being.

Thanks for the good work so far.

Best regards,
Arnulf.