[Mapbender_dev] More demos... and what to do about our default WMS?

Astrid Emde astrid.emde at wheregroup.com
Fri Jun 4 08:23:32 EDT 2010

Hello,

it would be interesting to set up a more complex WMS - maybe with OSM data.

If the FOSSGIS server could be used for this purpose this is fine. As I
know the server is in germany and quite fast. The address should be
available for the next years.

An alternative would be to set a the WMS on the new Mapbender server when
we get it. It could be a ticket for Mapbender 3.0 to make use of the new
WMS and maybe to move and update the germany WMS on the new server.

Best regards

Astrid

On Fri, June 4, 2010 10:19 am, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:

> Lars Lingner wrote:
>
>> On 04.06.2010 10:45, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> There was some discussion on this topic recently on the OSGeo Discuss
>>>  list with Jochen Topf asking which WMS to use. But I think there was
>>> no "final" outcome. Ideally OSGeo would provide a simple but
>>> high-availability service with simple standard data. We could start
>>> this topic with a request to the Public Geospatial Data Committee
>>> (without
>>> knowing whether it will ever get anywhere).
>>
>>> Do you have other ideas?
>>>

>> Based on the idea of Jochen, there is a simple WMS on the FOSSGIS
>> server. You can find Infos on this page: http://demowms.fossgis.de/
>>
>> This WMS ist very simple but we hope it will be a reliable one. If
>> there is a need for a more advanced service, we can set up one.
>>
>> There is one condition: The service shouldn't slow down the server. But
>>  that is manageable.
>>
>> If you are interested in using this WMS or have further questions let
>> me know.
>>

>> Lars
>>

> Lars,
> thanks, this is pretty much what I was looking for. Very nice.
>
> I noticed that the layer "message" is defaulted [1], it shows whether
> you add it to LAYERS= or not. Maybe it could be removed or at least made
> optional, it is not so nice to have it there all the time. Another idea
> would be to add a colored background so that you also see something when
> you request for strange coordinates. Ideally with a pattern saying "out of
> bounds" when you leave this planet. This would help all those people who
> add a badly configured GK3 WMS to a WGS84 and end up 3 million km to the
> east of this planet...
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf.
>

> - --
> Arnulf Christl
>

> Exploring Space, Time and Mind
> http://arnulf.us

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Astrid Emde

AGIT 2010
7.-9. Juli 2010 in Salzburg
Treffen Sie die WhereGroup an Stand Nr. 30
http://www.agit.at
----------------------------------

Aufwind durch Wissen!

Qualifizierte OpenSource-Schulungen