[Mapbender-users] where to get the map

smithveg smithveg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 06:26:25 EDT 2006

Thank for your information. I had getting me to built up some understanding
about GIS and WMS.

While in the admin panel, i see a list of mapbender gui.

i undertsnad the gui with 'admin' prefix is admin control.
then gui, gui1, gui2 is map of germany. I don't understand those prefix with
'WMS_...'.
Most of the gui wthose start with WMS give me the error as below:
-------------
This GUI is an OGC service catalog container and does not provide a map user
interface. Please use the (back <javascript:history.back()>) link to select
another GUI form your list or log off to log on using another account
(identity).
------------

Secondly, let's say click in 'gui' or 'gui1', or 'gui2'. it shown me the
map, But i wonder to know how can i add a dot, add a location name, ( i
means add something inside the map).

Thanks for reply.
Thank you.

smith

On 8/11/06, Lars-Hendrik Schneider <schneider at terrestris.de> wrote:

> Hi
> smithveg schrieb:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I download a zip file form the url as below:
> > http://www.cipotato.org/DIVA/data/DataServer.htm
> >
> > Inside got a GRD and GRI file. I'm not sure how to use it. Is it get the
> > map and upload to mapbender?
> >
> > But you say that mapbender not display the map for user, so, who display
> > the map? WMS?
>
> Mapbender is only a client software that enabels you to get maps
> (images) from specialized mapserver services. In the backend Mapbender
> only (simply spoken) creates special URL requests to a program that
> delivers and creates the map then. Mapbender does not create the maps
> itself.
>
> For the maps you need the data (shapes, aeral photos, TIFs ...) and a
> program that takes a picture from your data and delivers it to a client
> (Mapbender). Therefore you need s.th. like UMN Mapserver or ArcIMS.
>
> So you currently just have the "remote control" for such kind of
> servers. Luckily many such servers are available in the internet and can
> be accessed by delivering their data in a standard format -> WMS (Web
> Map Service).
>
> There you can a file that tells Mapbender which parameters the service
> expects - so that you can get maps from such a service using Mapbender
> as a remote control.
>
> Hth a bit for the background...
>
> Lars-Hendrik

smithveg