AW: [Mapbender-users] MySQL Support

Koordinierungsstelle PortalU kst at portalu.de
Thu Apr 3 05:52:48 EDT 2008

Dear Christoph,

The PortalU-Mapbender (www.portalu.de) currently uses MySQL.

> I would also like to to start a discussion about how you
> think about dropping MySQL support.
> However a decision has not been made, and I would like to
> encourage everyone concerned with MySQL to join the discussion.

For our central installation it might be no problem or even a good idea to switch to Postgres. In fact, we are discussing on this at the moment.

However, we distribute our software to our cooperation partners (German Federal Government and Federal States) and our personal experience is, that it is not always easy to convince public administration IT people to use "free" databases at all because they are normally used to either Oracle or MS SQL Server. We found it much easier to promote MySQL compared to PostgreSQL, don't really know why. Hence, stopping MySQL-Support might narrow Mapbender acceptance, at least in Federal Government/States environments. But as I said, just our personal experience...

Cheers,
martin

 Koordinierungsstelle PortalU
 im Niedersächsischen Ministerium für