AW: [Mapbender-users] WCS_in_Mapbender

Arnulf Christl (WhereGroup) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Mon Apr 14 14:50:17 EDT 2008

On Mon, April 14, 2008 10:51, Buchholz, Robert wrote:
> Hey Arnulf,
>

> i really want to know the philosophy of WCS to understand the advantages
> and possabilities of WCS. As one application i assume a supervised
> /unsupervised classification on a rasterimage i.e. to find out about
> percentage of landuses (waterbodies, forest, agriculture...). gvSIG can
> only load WCS and give pointbased information concerning the RGB code
> (Value on x-y coordinate = 33).
> My hope is to apply algorythms to find all similar values (better ranges
> of values 22 to 44) an put them in one class together. Maybe then find
> out the area covered by this value/ class and set this in relation to
> 100%.
> Theoretically possible by a "fat client"!??? But afaik not by gvSIG at
> present. Does someone knows one free fat client providing such abilities?
>

> Additionally what other abilities are assumed to use a WCS?
> Can I set a  browserbased request like
> http://www.server/service/...?service=wcs&version=1.0.0&band=2&value=22-4
> 4    ?
> If yes, what would I get? an image only with the points having this value
> or a xml/gml containing the x/y coordinates with the values 22 to 44? If
> none of this I do not see big advantages to install a WCS, while WMS and
> WFS supports most needs of GIS applicators except of image
> classification.
>
> But maybe some of this is nonsence, because my need will be only
> supported and realised by WPS (Web Processing Service) like presentet at
> FOSSGIS 2008.
> Then my question is related to WPS, but with +/- the same objectives.
>

> Best wishes,
> Robert

Robert,
this is a good summary. Maybe you should forward this to the gvSIG mailing
list or check with their roadmap, maybe it is already planned. They are
keen on finding new area of work so chances are good that you can get them
interested.

The traditional place to look for this kind of processing would be GRASS.
This is their primary domain although I believe that they did not catch up
on OGC WCS yet - but this is only guessing.

And then - as you said, this will be an interesting field of work for
processing services but currently this is all still beta. Ominoverde
(Lorenzo Becchi) still calls it in an "embrio" state... :-)

Best regards,
Arnulf.

With best regards,
Arnulf Christl