[Mapbender-users] RE: recommendation for grouping layers

karsten vennemann karsten at terragis.net
Fri Jan 11 03:50:38 EST 2008

Hi I tried to experiment with both options
1. using ConfTreeGde to group layers into folders
And
2. using TreegGde2 and multiple local wms to group layers into different
folders
(see also message below)

I didn't come up with a conclusion yet what is better regarding performance
( I have 90 layers and a map file with 5000+ lines), but it seems that
mapbender is using stacking multiple transparent images on top of each other
to assemble the map. Is that correct ?
In that case this could have performance advantages if only switching off
one group (WMS) during work with the maps and the other wms stay untouched -
mapserver has to render fewer layers this way when a user switches off
groups.
However on the other hand initially loading multiple wms could slow down
performance initially during the start of the session (compared to option
1)? Did anybody ever compare those or has  thoughts on that ?

Also in the documentation I read about treeGde2 at
http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/TreeGDE2 : "Group information (nested
layers) is already available in the database but is not used to display in
TreeGDE2."
Is there anybody that tried to accomplish nested layers (one level is enough
for my purposes) in treeGde2?
Or could anybody point out what would be involved adding that (I might give
it a shoot, even being new to mapbender). It sounds that the database
already has some of the information needed to do that.

Karsten

---