[Mapbender-users] PDF-Print and Symbols

Astrid Emde (WhereGroup) astrid.emde at wheregroup.com
Tue Mar 25 09:08:55 EDT 2008

Tilo Wütherich schrieb:
> Hi All,
>
> I know that this is not really a mapbender issue, but probably someone knows
> help: I print a layer from an external WFS (background topography) and some
> layers from my own data, e.g. towns, cityborders etc. If I choose the high
> 288 dpi resolution in printpdf, my city-signatures and labels are very, very
> tiny in the pdf :-(
>
> Who can help?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tilo

Hello,

for the highquality print we order a picture 4 times bigger and squeeze
it to the size we need in the pdf. The effect is that the symbols and
textes are tiny after this process.

For UMN MapServer you can define a new mapfile (germany_4.map) where the
size of the symbols and textes is four times higher. To create this
mapfiles you can take the script mapfiler.php which is for download at:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapbender/browser/branches/2.4.5/http/tools/mapFiler.php

Then you can define in the print.conf:

$highquality = true;

and you define for which WMS you want to choose a different mapfile for
the print.

$highqualitymapfiles = array(
    "/data/umn/germany/germany_demo.map",
    "/data/umn/mapbender_user/mapbender_user.map"
);

The Print module then looks for the _4.-mapfiles for the defined WMS.

This solution is a workaround and is only defined for UMN mapfiles at
the moment. If you use GeoServer you could implement a similar solution
with a second WMS which uses different styles like described above.

Astrid Emde

 FOSSGIS Konferenz
 Freie und Open Source Software für GIS
 vom 01.-03. April 2008 in Freiburg