[Mapbender-users] eplace iframe in vertical tab module

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Mon Sep 15 10:53:30 EDT 2008

karsten at terragis.net schrieb:
> Hi all,
> I am working on integrating some components of the Ext JavaScript library
> (extjs.com) into my Mapbender application. Specifically I wanted to use ext
> windows and grid filters with a query builder.
> I am using the vertical tabs (which use iframes) and one of them holds my
> original query builder. From that tab I wanted to run user initialized
> database queries - the results of which then will be displayed in a extjs
> window. So far so good - but unfortunately the iframe architecture makes it
> problematic to call the extjs windows (a div) which is then stuck in the
> small iframe instead of being on the main page...
> Thus, here is finally my question: what would it take to replace the iframes
> of the vertical tab module and make it work with mapbender using "divs"
> instead .That would eliminate the trouble I got with the iframe in this
> case..
> Will this need total re-engineering of the module - or should this be
> pretty strait forward ? And would anybody have some suggestions where I can
> start creating an alternative "div" based module?

I agree, Iframes are the work of the devil. But I digress...

The vertical tabs module itself can also handle div tags. Are you
talking about an existing Mapbender module that you are trying to
customize? I assume refactoring it into a div will be painful. If you
created the module yourself, it might be worth a try.

Alternative: Can't you just create a JavaScript file that is loaded in
the main frame (add filename in the "javascript" section in "edit
elements" of that specific element) that holds the Ext functionality?
You could then call it via parent.<function> from the iframe.

Please let me know if you need additional help.

> Thanks
> Karsten

W h e r e G r o u p GmbH & Co. KG

Siemensstraße 8