[Mapbender-users] .TIF files as a basemap?

"Jäger, Frank (KRZ)" F.Jaeger at KRZ.DE
Thu Jan 29 03:31:13 EST 2009

Hi Milan,
Mapbender is a client for a service called WMS (Web Map Service).

Your have to get a WMS from your TIF-Files at first.
This is a job for tools like UMN-Mapserver or Geoserver.
After setting up this WMS you can show it in Mapbender-Client.

Do you habe 50 "independent" Tif-Files or are they sorted as tiles (like the wall in your bathroom)?

Organize these tiles using tileindex-function from GDAL and you will get much better performance then merging it to one big tif.
Also have a look on gdaladdo-function to include a smaller "overview"-map-version in every tif-file.
In smaller scale the WMS-Server has only to read the head of the tif-Files.

> or do i have to use a shapefile?

You cant get shape from tif.
tif is raster-data, shape is vector-Data.

But the tile-index, organizing the tiles, looks like shape (.shp, .shx).

Frank