[Mapbender-users] Fehlermeldung update mapbender3.0.5.3

Axel Schaefer axel.schaefer at wheregroup.com
Fri Mar 18 04:21:56 PDT 2016

Dear Mapbender-Users.

The question of PHP 5.3 is a bit complicated to answer but with a simple
solution: Mapbender3 is running under PHP 5.3 but with some remarks.
Some libraries require PHP 5.3.19 or greater but they are only needed
for the Development-mode (app_dev.php) of Mapbender. Therefore it's
possible to run Mapbender on PHP > 5.3.19 and for versions below that
it's possible but has to be build a special way (see the Technobabble
below).

Our Mapbender Code is written compliant to PHP 5.3. Our base for this
decision is the Symfony Framework that we use. If we are going to change
that version we have to switch to a higher PHP version.

Second: The libraries in the vendor directory are downloaded with
Composer (composer.phar update). Which version Composer will download
depends on the PHP version on which that command is called. For greater
PHP version composer will download newer versions than on older PHP
versions. These libraries get updated by the specific companies or
developers and we don't have a influence on them.

If you run that on PHP 5.3 you will see that the library
facebook/webdriver needs PHP >= 5.3.19. This is a library we need in the
dev-mode and which is referred under "require-dev" in composer.json.
With lower PHP versions composer cannot download that library and the
command will not finish successfully. You can run composer update with
the command: "composer update -o --no-dev" and this will update the
necessary vendor packages but not the ones under require-dev and
therefore not the facebook/webdriver. Sometimes this command will lead
to a memory error on PHP 5.3 (proc_open(): fork failed). This is
something related to the PHP 5.3 issues and doesn't happen with higher
PHP versions. You can run composer update on PHP 5.4 to avoid that
issues. The facebook driver will be compliant to 5.3.19.

I hope that helps you out and clears some of the views about it.

Axel
--
WhereGroup GmbH & Co. KG

Axel Schaefer