[Mapbender-users] Mapbender3 Version 3.0.6.0 released

Axel Schaefer axel.schaefer at wheregroup.com
Fri May 5 06:38:12 PDT 2017

Dear Mapbender Users and Mapbender Developers

You'll find the German version of this announcement below.

Dear Mapbender-User and Mapbender-Developers!

Today we published version 3.0.6.0 of Mapbender3. Thanks to all participants!

It's a Feature-Release with new functions and many bug fixes. We refer
to the versions-log at the Mapbender3 documentation [1]
(http://doc.mapbender3.org/de/book/versions.html), where we summarized
the list by chapters. Many changes relate to the code base, which has
been tidied in many parts.

Download [2]: http://mapbender3.org/?q=de/download or directly via the
link in footnote [3].

- The TAR.GZ file is suitable for Linux systems geeignet, because it
  uses symlinks in the web/bundles directory.

- The ZIP file is for Windows (and Linux) and doesn't use symlinks,
  because they are not supported by Windows.

Source code [4]:https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender-starter

Work and develop with the source code (Contributing.md) [5]:
https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender-starter/blob/release/3.0.6/CONTRIBUTING.md
(also in the master-branch)

Report bugs [6]: https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender/issues

Documentation [7]: http://doc.mapbender3.org/

Installation and Update [8]:
http://doc.mapbender3.org/en/book/installation.html

Never worked with Mapbender3 before [9]?
http://doc.mapbender3.org/en/book/quickstart.html

Mapbender-demo [10]: https://demo.mapbender3.org/

Sandbox with opportunity to register [11]:
https://sandbox.mapbender3.org/

New functions in this release, among other things, contain the Print,
the Digitizer, the Measurement and the display of users for secured
elements. We had to lift the system requirements to PHP 5.5.4 and say
goodbye to PHP 5.3, which has completed its life cycle a long time
ago. First we wanted to publish the release as bugfix-release, but
changed this to a feature-release because of outsourcing the submodules
(mapbender, fom, owsproy), among other things. Thus also the Digitizer
is integrated as Version 1.1.

We also created some things, which simplify the update of Mapbender and
the implementation of new functions with modules in the
future. Therefore you can find many references to the CONTRIBUTING.MD
[4] in the developer part of the documentation on mapbender3.org
[6]. The CONTRIBUTING.MD is a help file for developers and advanced
users, which we put directly to the source-code of the Mapbender-Starter
project. We want to achieve an easier entry into development for
Mapbender. A typical developer is able to open and read this file
directly in his coding-environment. He (or she) will see that Mapbender
is easily set up and can be started directly with the Symfony integrated
web-server. We will continue and update this Contributing.md. Thus the
Mapbender-documentation will develop to a mere user documentation.

What’s next? We created some structural basics to publish
bugfix-versions more frequently. Our rule of thumb is about "2 handful
of bugs" or 2 months time. We will document the bugs and fixes on the
issue tracker on Github. Currently we are working on moving our public
test server, to which we will refer – as far as possible – in our bug
reports.

Feature-versions will be published irregularly. Currently we are working
on the 3.0.6 branch and maintain the 3.0.7 branch, in which the features
will be integrated. The next feature-release will result from the code
of the 3.0.7 branch with the bugfixes from the 3.0.6 branch. If you
filter by versions, you can find the features in the issue-tracker
[12]. There you can also find the 3.1 branch, which will come with
bigger changes in the architecture (Symfony dependence and thus the
directory structure) and from which we already were able to implement
smaller parts in this release.

Links/Footnotes:
---------------

[1] Version history: http://doc.mapbender3.org/en/book/versions.html

[2] Download: http://mapbender3.org/?q=en/download

[3] Download of theBuilds: http://www.mapbender3.org/builds/

[4] Download of the source code:
    https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender-starter

[5] Contributing.md:
    https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender-starter/blob/release/3.0.6/CONTRIBUTING.md

[6] Feature and Bugtracker:
    https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender/issues

[7] Mapbender-Documentation: http://doc.mapbender3.org/

[8] Installation: http://doc.mapbender3.org/en/book/installation.html

[9] Mapbender3 Quickstart:
    http://doc.mapbender3.org/en/book/quickstart.html

[10] Mapbender-Demo: https://demo.mapbender3.org/

[11] Sandbox with opportunity to register:
     https://sandbox.mapbender3.org/

[12] Open tickets for the 3.0.6.1 Release:
     https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A3.0.6.1

German Version: Liebe Mapbender-Benutzer und Mapbender-Entwickler

Heute haben wir die Version 3.0.6.0 von Mapbender3 veröffentlicht. Danke
an dieser Stelle an alle Beteiligten.

Es handelt sich um einen Feature-Release mit neuen Funktionalitäten und
vielen Bugfixes. Ich möchte da einfach auf das Versions-Log in der
Mapbender3 Dokumentation [1] verweisen
(http://doc.mapbender3.org/de/book/versions.html), in der wir die Liste
Kapitelweise zusammengefasst haben. Viele Änderungen betreffen die
Codebasis, die an vielen Stellen aufgeräumt worden ist.

Download [2]: http://mapbender3.org/?q=de/download oder direkt über den
Link in Fußnote [3].

- Die TAR.GZ Datei ist für Linux Systeme geeignet, denn sie nutzt
  Symlinks im web/bundles Verzeichnis.

- Die ZIP-Datei ist für Windows geeignet (und für Linux) und nutzt keine
  Symlinks, da die nicht von Windows unterstützt werden.

Source-Code [4]: https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender-starter

Arbeiten mit dem Source-Code (Contributing.md) [5]:
https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender-starter/blob/release/3.0.6/CONTRIBUTING.md
(liegt auch im Master-Branch)

Melden von Fehlern [6]: https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender/issues

Dokumentation [7]: http://doc.mapbender3.org/

Installation und Update [8]:
http://doc.mapbender3.org/de/book/installation.html

Noch nie mit Mapbender3 gearbeitet [9]?
http://doc.mapbender3.org/de/book/quickstart.html

Mapbender-Demo [10]: https://demo.mapbender3.org/

Sandbox mit Anmeldemöglichkeit [11]: https://sandbox.mapbender3.org/

Neue Funktionen in diesem Release betreffen u.a. den Druck, den
Digitizer, das Messen oder die Anzeige der Nutzer bei der Absicherung
von Elementen. Wir mussten die Systemvoraussetzungen auf PHP 5.5.4 heben
und verabschieden uns damit von der PHP 5.3 Schiene, die ja auch seit
langer Zeit ihren Lebenszyklus abgeschlossen hat. Wir hatten zuerst
vorgehabt, den Release als Bugfix-Release zu veröffentlichen, haben dies
aber u.a. durch Auslagerung der Submodule (mapbender, fom, owsproxy) auf
einen Feature-Release gehievt. Damit ist auch der Digitizer als Version
1.1 eingebaut.

In der Zeit haben wir auch ein paar Dinge geschaffen, die es uns in der
Zukunft ermöglichen, den Mapbender leichter zu aktualisieren und neue
Funktionen leichter über Module zu realisieren. Daher finden Sie im
Developer Teil der Dokumentation auf mapbender3.org [6] auch viele
Verweise auf die Contributing.md [4], einer Hilfedatei für Entwickler
und Entwicklerinnen und Fortgeschrittene, die wir direkt in den
Source-Code des mapbender-starter gepackt haben, um diesen Nutzern einen
leichteren Einstieg in den Mapbender zu ermöglichen. Ein typischer
Entwickler kann diese Datei direkt in seiner Entwicklungsumgebung öffnen
und lesen. Er oder sie wird sehen, dass der Mapbender sich mit ein paar
Befehlen direkt einrichten und über den in Symfony eingebauten Webserver
direkt starten lässt. Diese Contributing.md werden wir weiter fortführen
und aktualisieren. Die Mapbender-Dokumentation wird sich dadurch mehr zu
einer reinen Benutzerdokumentation entwickeln.

Wie geht es weiter? Wir konnten einige strukturelle Grundlagen schaffen
um häufigere Bugfix-Versionen zu veröffentlichen. Unsere Daumenregel ist
etwa "2 Handvoll Bugs" oder etwa 2 Monate Zeit. Die Bugs und Fixes
werden wir auf dem Issue Tracker auf Github dokumentieren. Wir arbeiten
zur Zeit noch am Serverumzug unseres öffentlichen Testservers, auf dem
wir - soweit möglich - in den Bugreports verweisen können.

Feature-Versionen werden unregelmäßig veröffentlicht. Wir arbeiten zur
Zeit auf dem 3.0.6 Branch und pflegen nebenher den 3.0.7 Branch mit, in
dem diese Features dann eingebaut werden und aus dessen Code dann der
nächste Feature-Release entstehen wird, mit den Bugfixes aus dem 3.0.6
Branch. Features finden Sie im Issue-Tracker, wenn Sie nach der Version
filtern [12]. Sie finden dort auch den 3.1 Branch, der größere
Architektur-Änderungen mit sich bringen wird (Symfony Abhängigkeit und
damit auch die Verzeichnisstuktur), von denen wir kleinere Teile aber
schon in diesem Release umsetzen konnten.

Links/Fußnoten:
---------------

[1] Versionshistorie: http://doc.mapbender3.org/de/book/versions.html

[2] Download: http://mapbender3.org/?q=de/download

[3] Download der Builds: http://www.mapbender3.org/builds/

[4] Download des Quellcodes:
    https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender-starter

[5] Contributing.md:
    https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender-starter/blob/release/3.0.6/CONTRIBUTING.md

[6] Feature and Bugtracker:
    https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender/issues

[7] Mapbender-Dokumentation: http://doc.mapbender3.org/

[8] Installation: http://doc.mapbender3.org/de/book/installation.html

[9] Mapbender3 Quickstart:
    http://doc.mapbender3.org/de/book/quickstart.html

[10] Mapbender-Demo: https://demo.mapbender3.org/

[11] Sandbox mit Anmeldemöglichkeit: https://sandbox.mapbender3.org/

[12] Offene Tickets für den 3.0.6.1 Release:
     https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A3.0.6.1

                                   *~*~*

Best regards, viele Grüße
The Mapbender Team