[Mapbender-users] Documentation strcuture

Axel Schaefer axel.schaefer at wheregroup.com
Thu May 24 07:38:42 PDT 2018

Dear friends.

As mentioned sometimes earlier we have restructured our
documentation. It is available at http://doc.mapbender.org/

The documentation is not mobile readable: We changed the layout to the
sphinx-rtd theme. Is this thing printable? Yes. We have overwritten some
styles in this theme to have enough padding for DIN A4 pages.

The index changed to a more user-centric structure (https://doc.mapbender.org/en/index.html)

- First the installation
  (https://doc.mapbender.org/en/installation.html) with
  system-requirements and details for Windows and Linux.

- Then the Quickstart (https://doc.mapbender.org/en/quickstart.html):
  Get your first steps with mapbender by building your first
  application.

- The functions (https://doc.mapbender.org/en/functions.html): All than
  Mapbender provides in a list, divided into themes:

  - Base functions: Things that you can't live without. Like a map and a
    legend. The core functionality of a map-client.

  - Search: Well, now I see a map of my data, How can I find the data
    that I want? Use one of the searches. Either on the database or a
    Apache Lucene (Solr) index. Need some other searches (e.g. to some
    services)? They will be placed here.

  - Export/Print: Image export and Printing. Some other formats might
    also be placed here.

  - Editing: The chapter for the Digitizer, also Redlining and the
    deprecated Sketch module.

  - WMC: All that was placed on the WMC Bundle.

  - Backend: Now we get into the administration of Mapbender: Users
    (here still in FOM), Layersets, Sources.

  - Other: Misc, Attic. Name it, you'll find it here.

  These structure should help you to find what you need not due to the
  Bundle-organization (like before) but along the
  core-functionality. Mostly alphabetically, the base functions sorted
  by importance.

- Customization / Tipps & Tricks: A list of articles that we will fill
  up with more tipps howto achieve different things. If you have
  something to add to this "Saucerful Of Secrets", please file it to
  me/us or make a Pull Request at Github.

- FAQ: Questions that occurred and either didn't fit into a theme or are
  important enough to reside here. What to do with big datasets? How to
  deal with Oracle. Sometimes these questions are specific to a
  system-architecture.

- Development: The chapter that will be placed in the source-code of
  Mapbender-Starter and removed more and more of this
  documentation. Why? Because a) it's directly at hands for a developer
  and b) it can be directly adjusted by the developers in their
  working-environment. Technically the documentation is written in RST
  and has to be "transpiled" to this nice-looking html handout. The
  developer-documentation will be written in Markdown and can be viewed
  directly in most development-environments (IDE). The Contributing
  Guide
  (https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender-starter/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md)
  is one step to that.

  The mapbender-documentation addresses more the user, written by users
  for users.

- The rest: Version history and howto write the documentation.

If you have something to add, want to write a chapter, want to translate
some elements, add some ideas or ticks and tricks you have several
possibilities: a) Contact us here, b) write an issue on Github (directly
at mapbender: https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender/issues). Or file a
Pull Request at Github
(https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender-documentation/pulls).

We have created a project for the Documentation at Github which provides
a nice board-view on the open tickets:
https://github.com/mapbender/mapbender/projects/5

So please update your bookmarks, we will provide some symlinks for the
previous URL for the next some versions.

Many thanks at all "Count Dokus" for working on that for the last time:
Astrid, Nina, Robin, @pwheregroup.

Best regards
Axel

--