MGOS Project Steering Committee

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Nov 3 12:51:17 EST 2006

Hi Jonathon,

I'm copying the mailing list on this so that they can correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

The MapGuide PSC is being set up as a meritocracy, a pretty standard structure for an open source steering committee.  It's members are developers (and less frequently users) who have contributed significantly to the MapGuide Open Source project.

More details here:
https://mapguide.osgeo.org/psc.html <https://mapguide.osgeo.org/psc.html>
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/MapGuide_PSC <http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/MapGuide_PSC>

some of the stuff that we're currently working on:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/MapGuide_RFCs <http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/MapGuide_RFCs>
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/MapGuide_Roadmap <http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/MapGuide_Roadmap>
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/MapGuide_Release_Process <http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/MapGuide_Release_Process>

and the place to sign up for the -dev list:

It's not necessary to be on the PSC to have an effect on MapGuide development.  The -dev mailing list is open to all, and we are happy to accept contributions/RFCs from anyone with the time/money to put into development.  The PSC's main role is to ensure that all new development is done in a way that provides the best value to the project, but those decisions are largely informed by discussion on the -dev mailing list before and during the RFC proposal process.

Our membership is currently full at seven, though we are going to be evaluating whether we should expand to nine members eventually, with this being as large as we want to get.  There is a pretty strong feeling that these members should be international though, as we currently have a pretty large North American (Canadian mostly) contingent.

One thing about open source projects is that individual interests and available time quite often wax and wane, so you often see turnover in the PSC.  If you are actively involved in the development community, you have a chance to fill one of these vacancies.

Jason