TileMapService

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon Oct 23 00:34:36 EDT 2006

Looks like Paul R has put up a first cut at a Tile Service specification.  I think that we need to keep on top of this one.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Tile_Map_Service_Specification

I like the idea of the REST interface.  I know that with Apache you can put a CGI script in the middle of a path and it will get called, placing the rest of the query string into PATH_INFO.  Also, mod_rewrite allows transparent mapping to a script.  I wonder, though, if there is any way to configure IIS to support this kind of service.

Apart from that, it doesn't look like it would be all that hard to implement with MapGuide's existing tile service functionality and some front end metadata scripts.

Thoughts?

Jason