[mapguide-internals] Raster performance (was Rasterproviderproblems...)

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sat Apr 7 22:31:03 EDT 2007

Hmm.  Attachment didn't make it through to me.

I believe you that it's ugly.  Is it as bad as the JPG output?  I'm basically wondering if there is anything better than JPG at similar size.  Maybe control over the JPG compression level would be useful?

There are still a number of residents that are on dial-up, and large PNGs are not going to work for them.  It's too bad that SVG isn't more widely accepted :)  I've gone with image-based mapping because of the headaches I've had trying to deal with ActiveX controls (annoying Linux & Mac users to no end) over the past years, but client/server was  probably a better solution for low-bandwidth users.

Jason

From: Traian Stanev
Subject: RE: [mapguide-internals] Raster performance

My chief concern with dropping down to 8 bit color output is that it means we would have to turn off antialiased drawing. Compare the two attached images to see what happens when you save a map that uses antialiased drawing into a png8 image. I used GIMP to generate the optimal palette for the 8 bit image, which by the way is time consuming also, so regular 8-bit output would likely be worse.