[mapguide-internals] RFC 14(CartographicStylizationEngine)comments

Carsten Hess carsten.hess at autodesk.com
Thu Feb 15 15:33:56 EST 2007

Jason,

Agreed with your data model design conclusion - it has to handle all
possible UI's and user needs :)

I also agree with your desire of specifying things to be the same size
everywhere independent of scale. The question is ... how do you specify
something that is always the same size independent of scale?

I am saying you should specify it in real units. Ideally you can take
your ruler to the screen and measure it to be one inch wide if you say
it is one inch wide. If you say it is one pixel wide then this is pretty
meaningless as one pixel is differently sized on all different devices -
a pixel is not a unit. I want to use real units to size symbols, line
width, etc even if we define them in device space.

Cheers,
  Carsten