[mapguide-internals] RFC 14(CartographicStylizationEngine)comments

Ben Trumbore ben.trumbore at autodesk.com
Thu Feb 15 18:44:24 EST 2007

Traian,

Thanks again for your replies.  Between your responses and a
conversation I had with Carsten, I think I see where things are.  I want
to reply to a few of your comments and attempt to summarize my
understanding to see if everyone agrees.  I also think there are still a
few open questions.

* I'm happy to hear that "px" has been removed from the symbol sizes
(for many reasons that I won't reiterate).  Storing all symbol
geometries in mm is great.

* As you mentioned, we need to decide whether the SymbolInstance should
scale the symbols relatively or aboslutely.  The currently proposed
relative resizing is a departure from the existing style classes, but it
is more general than absolute sizing (which, as you note, we may not be
able to provide in all cases).  Could we at least determine whether a
symbol has static geometry by seeing if it uses parameters in its
geometry definition?  If a symbol has static geometry, it's bounds can
be determined and absolute scaling can be provided.

* I think there is agreement that allowing users to create their styles
in certain units and with a "maintain aspect ratio" option are functions
of the UI, and do not belong in the object model.  This is a departure
from the previous symbolizations, but we should be able to provide
similar functionality through user preferences in the application.

* Do we have a formal, long-range plan for migrating the object model,
stylization engine and UI to use the proposed schema?  Is it intended
that the old style specifications will eventually be eliminated?  If so,
we might be better off making an abrupt switch to the proposed method,
rather than adding the new stuff, deprecating the old stuff, and then
eventually removing it.  We might wind up inconveniencing more users to
a greater degree, and be left with a less desirable schema and object
model to boot.

Traian's email highlights an opportunity to streamline the proposed
hierarchy.  I'm sure he is aware of this, but I'll discuss it anyway.
The original three derived FeatureTypeStyles were meant to steer the UI
and stylization engine to the appropriate style information for a
feature of a given geometry type.  The proposed system could ignore
geometry type in the layer definition classes as it contains its own
steering mechanism (the "Usage" properties in SimpleSymbolDefinition).
Moving PointTypeStyle's overposting properties down to SymbolInstance
(as proposed) would remove the last barrier to eliminating
FeatureTypeStyle and having a class hiearchy that looks like this:

FeatureLayerDefinition
   -- VectorScaleRange
      -- CompositeRule (could be named Rule)
         -- CompositeSymbolization (could be named Symbolization)
            -- collection of SymbolInstances

Of course, this can only be done if the existing FeatureTypeStyles are
eliminated.  This might not be as radical as it sounds.  If such a
change is made sooner rather than later, fewer data sets will need to be
converted and fewer applications will have to change their layer
generation code.  Also, it shouldn't be hard to convert a 1.0 layer
definition into the proposed classes silently and temporarily at
runtime.  Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out for consideration (and
to provoke an answer to my question about the long-range plan in this
area!).

	Ben